Lighthouse Point Park Migration Festival – Celebrating Birds, Butterflies & Dragonflies
Sunday, September 17, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Lighthouse Point Park, New Haven (map)
Come celebrate the spectacle and mystery of migration at one of the best places to see migrating hawks in New England.
- Live Bird Shows featuring Hawks and Owls
- See wild birds up close at banding demonstrations
- Children’s activities and fun for the whole family
- Ride the Old-Fashioned Carousel
- Tour the Historic Lighthouse
- Live Bluegrass Music
- Hands-on Butterfly Tagging
- Bird walks and more
Monarch Butterfly Tagging
Saturday, September 23, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Meigs Point Nature Center, Hammonasset Beach State Park (map)
Join Menunkatuck board member Tom Kelly for monarch butterfly tagging September 16 from at Meigs Point Nature Center’s butterfly garden at Hammonasset. Tom is also a member of the Connecticut Butterfly Association and has a long interest in butterflies.
Scientists use monarch tagging to determine the direction and speed at which monarchs migrate to their overwintering sites in Mexico.
Entrance fee to park applies. Rain or cold temperature will cancel event.
Hammonassett Festival 2017
Saturday, September 30, 10:00 am – 7:00 pm; Sunday, October 1, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Guilford Fairgrounds (map)
The Friends of Hammonasset present the annual Hammonassett Festival celebrating nature and Native American heritage.
- Nations Dance Troupe
- Redhawk Native American Arts Council
- Native American Music & Dance, Arts & Crafts
- A Place Called Hope Raptor Rescue
- Meigs Point Nature Center
- Museum Outreach & Environmental Exhibits
- New England Atlatl Championship
- Food Vendors & Children’s Activities
Admission to Festival (12 and up) – $5.00