What to Do with Injured Wildlife

ct-rehab-logoFirst, be careful. A wild animal is, well, wild and may bite or scratch. In such a case, the animal might have to be killed and tested for rabies.

If you suspect that an animal is rabid, immediately call your local animal control officer or police department.

It is illegal for anyone who is not a state appointed rehabilitator to care for wildlife. One such rehabiltator is Bonnie Alexander. She can be reached at 203-453-5582 (H) or 203-934-3528 (W). For injured birds of prey call A Place Called Hope at 203-804-3453, 203-214-2846, or 860-575-9791.

For more information about injured wildlife visit the Connecticut Wildlife Rehabilitation Association website or check the Connecticut DEEP web site.

More about handling injured wildlife…