What to Do with Injured Wildlife


First, be careful. A wild animal is, well, wild and may bite or scratch. In such a case, the animal might have to be killed and tested for rabies.

If you suspect that an animal is rabid, immediately call your local animal control officer or police department.

It is illegal for anyone who is not a state appointed rehabilitator to care for wildlife. For injured birds of prey call A Place Called Hope at 203-804-3453, 203-214-2846, or 860-575-9791.

For more information about injured wildlife visit the Connecticut Wildlife Rehabilitation Association website or check the Connecticut DEEP website.

Another source for comprehensive information is Audubon Sharon’s How to Help Distressed Birds and Other Wildlife - Important guidelines on what to do if you encounter injured, sick, or orphaned wild animals.

I found a baby bird/mammal. Now what?